Header/Navigation Bar

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Two Blogs in a Day!

It has been awhile since I have blogged so I am going to blog twice in one morning! I have one special blog for today and another one of random stuff I wanted to roll together!! So, here we go.....

Yesterday, I truly experienced one of those "parent feelings" I had never felt before. Grayson got an assessment from his daycare. At first, I was just glancing at it and it and didn't think much of it but then we got home and I started to look at it more and thought to myself...."This is like a report card!" It set in pretty fast....the paranoia. All of a sudden I went from, "Oh, that's neat!" to "Is he on level for his age?" There were two ways that the skills were assessed, either M for mastered or S for still working on skill. The top of the paper was basic skills, like:

Can they get dressed?
Do they use the potty? (He is still NOT going on the potty consistently so he got an S)
Do they use 2-3 sentences?
Can you jump with 2 feet?
Can you hop with one foot?

There were a lot more really basic things....and then the bottom was academics, like:

Do they identify all letters?
Do they identify all numbers 1-20?
Do they know all their colors?
Do they know all their shapes? (the shapes were square, triangle, circle, rectangle, heart, star, oval, pentagon, hexagon, octagon)

We work with Grayson a lot and he has known all of his letters and sounds since he was around 2 or 2 and a half so we thought he would do pretty well! He got M (mastered) on every skill (basic and academic) EXCEPT these:

He could not jump on one foot....He did not identify those rascal-like hexagon and octagons and the potty issue. So right away I thought...oh my goodness...is he on level? What can I do to help him hop on one foot?
The panic set in...haha! But then I quickly calmed down and realized that he is just turning 3 and he has plenty of time to work on those things! I was really proud of him but I wanted to share that experience because it was quite interesting to me because I understood where parents of my students came from when they got report cards!!!

Well I would like to leave you with some sweet pictures of Grayson and Ella! They are both getting so big and I am loving every minute with them! Joey just can't get over Ella....he carries her everywhere and is happy to have his sweet boy and a little girl!! Also, I am posting some great OWL finds. If you know me, you know I LOVE owls and we have them in our house and I did an owl theme in my class! I have always loved them and when I was a Chi Omega I loved them even more!! So here's a hodge podge of pics of owls and my kids...lol!

I love my niece's expression in this pic!
This dr. set has been Grayson's favorite thing lately!
Ella is getting so big!! She will be 3 months on the 24th!
Watching a Disney movie and enjoying popcorn in the office while we were having bible study!

1 comment:

Kelli @ Our Growing Family said...

I totally know the feeling! Now that Jackson is in preschool (just 2 days a week) being on the other side is a whole new ballgame. I feel like when I do go back to teaching, I will be a completely different teacher!