Header/Navigation Bar

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Show and Tell: How We Met/Got Engaged


Today I am linking up with Andrea over at Momfessionals for her Show and Tell Linky Party. Honestly, I haven't had much time to blog but I just had to join this topic!! This is one I want down in the books...literally. Since I get my blog turned into a book every so often... I knew this was a story I wanted the kids to have later on.

Joey and I first started talking online...I know...haha....and quickly became friends. He instantly became someone I looked forward to talking to. We found out that we attended the same church and didn't even realize it. I remember that we had talked online and on the phone for months....at least 7 or 8 before we ever saw each other. I was off at MSU going through a yucky relationship/break up and he was my go to person I would talk to. That is one of the reasons we didn't realize we went to the same church....#1 the church was growing and there were different services and #2 I was off in Wichita Falls at school. The next Fall, I got out of the relationship I was in and moved home to be closer to my family and to deal with health issues (when all of my stomach issues began).

The first Sunday back, I knew I wanted to go to church and Joey and I talked about sitting with each other at church. We had never seen each other and he told me where he would be sitting. I remember it like it was yesterday....He was at the back with his friend. He was wearing a green henley with his arms folded in front of him and he had the cutest dimples. My knees were literally weak and I think he realized that I had sprayed half a bottle of Ralph Lauren's Romance on myself (which he still teases me about)!  I also dropped my keys on the way in and the pastor made an announcement in front of everyone about lost keys. Awkward. The whole service I couldn't believe that this person I had come to care so much about was sitting right next to me and was so cute. I had butterflies. We didn't talk too much and we said our goodbyes.

I remember driving home and calling my mom and telling her he was so cute and I swear I am going to marry him. Little did I know....I would one day be Mrs. Acker!!! We started hanging out every day after church and that November 2003, started dating.

My mom didn't necessarily approve of me dating Joey. First, he was 19 (he had just graduated high school months before)and I was about to be 21. Second, he was not in college. I remember our first big date was the beginning of December. He took me to the Nutcracker and then Red Lobster. Oooh, cheddar biscuits. We were talking about why my mom isn't as happy about us dating. I remember Joey said..."Well, I will just start college next month." He literally did and graduated in 3 years.


In August 2004, Joey said we were going on a nice date before school starts back. At the time, the West End in Dallas was a fun, nice place to go. We went to dinner at Lombardi's, he bought me roses on the street, and then we went on a horse drawn carriage ride. It was a gorgeous night and when we got off, he paused. He got down on one knee and proposed. Of course, I say YES and people in the streets around us cheered. It was pretty stinkin' magical. When we got back to his car, he had made a framed collage of all of our pictures along with a sweet letter and had made a cd of all of our songs....I know. Sweet.
Us right after we got married in our first home


Almost 9 years later, we are married with 2 sweet kiddos and look forward to many more!!


No comments: