Header/Navigation Bar

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

When People Think You're "THAT" Person

Today, I am linking up with Courtney over at Women Living Well Ministries
If you have not checked out her blog or You Tube channel, it's a MUST! She is too stinkin' cute and it's amazing to see how God gives her the wisdom and words to speak to other women's hearts.

So....as Joey and I have grown closer to the Lord (You can read my testimony here: The Moment My Life Changed ) I have noticed that some of the people that we encounter think we are the "Crazy, Religious People"......ya' know...."that person." When I say "that person" I mean the one that people feel like they can't be themselves with, they feel like they can only talk about church with you (which isn't a bad thing), and they feel like if they have one drink or smoke a cigarette in front of you, you are judging them.

I know it sounds a little crazy but I have noticed it more and more. I am thankful to the Lord that He is shining through our lives and that our faith in Him is evident but I want people to also know that just because you make choices in your life that aren't of this world that it is not a bad thing. When I think back to the time in our marriage when Joey was truly saved and I was not yet, I can recall getting so frustrated and angry with him because he wanted to cut out a lot of worldly things from our home. I remember thinking he is going overboard and trying to shelter us. But the day I became saved, it all became so clear to me. To truly follow the Lord means doing things different from the world. It can be a struggle and we have even had comments made from some family but when I think of building our family's relationship with our AMAZING father in heaven, nothing could be sweeter.

So, in essence, I am thankful for some people thinking we do things a little different. But we are still normal people. We have struggles just as anyone else does. WHY? Because we are sinners in need of a savior and that makes being a Christian even sweeter when you think of Jesus who is so perfect dying for our sins and forgiving your past, present, and future when you repent of your sins and TRUST in Him. I have days that I may struggle more but I find so much peace in one of my favorite verses:

Psalm 73:26
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

So LOVE it! It brings so much comfort and joy to my heart! Please feel free to share below what verse brings you comfort in time of struggle!!! : )

To close on out.....I would like to share with you all that my brother in law's funeral was today. It was extremely emotional for me and I can't even imagine how hard it was for his family and my sister. I swear I cried so much my head hurt and I fell asleep on the way home. Josh was a great guy and a wonderful brother in law and uncle to our kiddos. He will be missed so much. Thinking about losing someone so young just made me think about how important it is to share the gospel with everyone you encounter, whether its verbally or sharing a gospel tract. So please don't be afraid to share your faith...be a light in a dark world.

Have a blessed week and, again, please keep Josh's family, our family, and his friends in your prayers.

God Bless and Have a Fantabulous Week! : )

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Melanie,
I found your blog on Women Living Well, the link up party.

This is a great post and I can definitely relate.

It's usually family and "old" friends that you used to be "worldly" with, that can't seem to handle the change when a person gives their life to Christ.

Sometimes you have to walk away or keep strong boundaries, because I've found that they like to drag you back to where you once were.
However, when you stand firm, yet stay kind, they eventually see something different in you.

I guess that's a much better testimony than preaching at people.

Loved your pictures of New York too!

Come visit my blog sometime:)

Lauren said...

My hubby and I are that couple too. We don't smoke, drink, etc., not b/c we are legalistic but b/c we desire to please God. Some things you just don't want to do any more as you grow closer to the Lord. :) I really enjoyed this post. For awhile my hubby and I didn't have friends b/c other young couples still wanted to be saved, parents, and live that "party lifestyle," even in the church, but luckily God has sent us a few like us. Pray and they will come if you desire other couples like yourself who serve God 100%. :) Blessings, Lauren, lholmes79.wordpress.com