Header/Navigation Bar

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Christmas Traditions: Three Gifts

On Friday, I posted a picture on Instagram of a present I wrapped for Grayson that said "Need" on it. Since then, I have received Facebook messages and emails asking about how our family does gift giving with our kids during Christmas. I had planned on doing it next week but since I have had so many questions, I thought I would do it now...plus we all know that once I go back to work...I will totally slack on blogging!!!
It all started two years ago when we had decided on not doing Santa (you can read all about that HERE). We felt that Christmas was a time to rejoice in the birth of our amazing Savior and didn't want Christmas to be all about presents. Now, don't get me wrong we love presents...but we didn't want "getting something" to overshadow the whole meaning of the season. Joey and I started researching online and came across the 3 Gifts Idea. Some families did a want, a need, and a read and another family did a want, a need, and a spiritual gift which the latter is what we fell in love with.

There are so many reasons that we love doing this.

1. The above...we want our kids to value the reason of Christmas.

2. We do not have unrealistic expectations to live up to.

3. They always know they will get 3 gifts. Whether we continue to be financially blessed or ever hit hard times, our kids will always know they will get those 3 gifts and it is something realistic and attainable.



 Our kids get things all throughout the year. They get little things here and there for their effort at school and surprises when we catch them being a good helper or thoughtful, so they really don't need a time of year to go all out.




Again, I am just sharing a tradition of our family. Is it right for your family? Maybe not and that is okay. That is the fun thing about family traditions, you can pick and choose what works best for your family! My parents go all out and it's the one day they spoil all the kids. It's not what we do in our home but I know it's a tradition they have and enjoy.




Okay, on to what our 3 gifts usually consists of!

1. Need
This might be one box of clothes. So we do kinda give them more than three items but we make sure to put it all in one box. For example, in Grayson's "NEED" box I was wrapping for this year it had socks, a thick scarf, a new hat, and gloves. Another year it may have a couple of outfits but since I just bought the kids new clothes to wear now, I went went some things he was needing replacements of. Ella's "NEED" gift is a monogrammed Pottery Barn jewelry box because she has jewelry everywhere and she actually needs that! 


2. Want
This usually is the one big thing they want that year. You know...when you're a kid...that one thing you kinda have your heart set on.

3. Spiritual
This is something that helps them grow spiritually and build their relationship with God. In the past we have given them things like a bible, Christian book series made for kids, and Veggie Tale dvd's. Other ideas could be sponsoring a child through an organization that they could write to, donating money in their name to something like Voice of the Martyrs, or a personalized notebook and special pens to write prayers in.

This year Joey ordered them a dvd series called "What's in the Bible?" We had bought one dvd at Mardel and the kids loved it. He was so excited to find a complete series! You can find it HERE. It has a lot of great, solid information.


Our kids definitely don't feel as if they miss out. They have a whole playroom of toys. It's funny because we asked Grayson what he wanted this year and he really hasn't had a list of anything. Ella said I really just want two things. It really is a blessing and we also talk about helping others and giving more at this time.

 I hope this helps answer any questions or may help you and your family in deciding what your gift giving tradition may be. I am cuddling up to watch a movie! I will be back to post a Sum It Up Sunday tomorrow! See y'all!








No comments: