Header/Navigation Bar

Monday, August 4, 2014

Monthly Q&A: August (Back to School)

Haha! I love this movie. I won't lie...I may have felt like this when I went back Friday. Now that I am making my morning Starbucks trips...it is all falling into place...haha!

For August, Lauren and I thought it was only fitting to do our monthly q&a all about back to school. Lauren is the cutest 4th grade teacher and I am a counselor and we love being in education and wouldn't have it any other way.

1. What is your morning routine?
I try to wake up around 5:30 a.m. I jump up when I hear the alarm or otherwise I would NEVER get out of bed. I start getting ready and while I let my moisturizer set, I eat breakfast and drink a cold glass of ice water with lemon.....I know it's weird but hey I am telling ya! Then I start doing my makeup and hair. Around the time I finish that, the kiddos wake up. Now here is where Joey and I being a true team comes in. I help Ella get dressed and fix both kids' hair (praise the Lord Grayson pretty much does everything on his own). Joey makes breakfast for the kiddos and gives them their vitamins and Grayson's allergy medicine and makes lunch for Grayson. Backpacks and bags are ready to go (I will get to that later). Then, I get dressed, accessorize,  and take Ella to school since Gray goes to school with Joey. On the way to taking her to school, I usually make a stop at Starbucks.

2. What's your go to breakfast for you...and the kids?
We are such creatures of habit! Joey, me, and the kids!! I always have 3 fried egg whites or 3 boiled egg whites and cold water. The kids usually have banana muffins that I make out of my mother in law's banana bread recipe or cinnamon waffles. They also love the Sesame Street organic waffles or Vann's gluten free blueberry waffles. They love them some waffles. They usually also have a yogurt smoothie (the Dannon bottles). If they are really hungry, they will also eat a bowl of cereal. About an hour or so after I eat my eggs and drink my water, it is usually Starbucks time. I get a Venti Iced Coffee with Extra NonFat Milk, 3 Splendas, and Light Whip. I also treat myself every once in a while to a vanilla bean scone which are my absolute favorite!! And my drink is only $3.19!
3. Where do you like to shop for work clothes?
I have a couple of stores I rotate through and honestly that is where most of my clothes come from. Nordstrom, Groovy's, Old Navy, and The Loft are probably my go to places. I am impressed with their quality and I can almost always find something. Old Navy is more of my go to for simple things like a striped tee or a plain cardigan. I would have to say Groovy's is where I shop the most next to Nordstrom. It is a super cute boutique and now you can shop with them online HERE!

But this is what I usually look like for work....a dress and some other stuff thrown on.



It looks dressy but I keep it simple. 

4. What is your usual lunch?
I usually bring some type of meat, a vegetable, and fruit. Tomorrow it's unstuffed cabbage and broccoli. I try to prep food on Sunday so it's easier to grab it and pack it! I do enjoy eating lunch out once a week with work friends! It is my treat I look forward to!  Other days it may be taco meat and a salad or salmon and a fresh veggie mix. For fruit, I usually have an apple, plum, or grapes.

5. What's your after work routine?
I get home around 4:30 or 5ish and after hugs and kisses, I try to start dinner. I usually clean up and am done by 6 p.m. Joey and I will take turns either giving Ella a bath and supervising Grayson taking a shower now that he is soooo big and the other will clean up/sweep up under the table. Then, if Grayson has homework we try to knock that out or do an activity at the table. Depending on the day, we will play outside afterwards or they will play in the playroom.  After this, I make sure their bags are ready to go and that folders have been signed and everything is ready for the next day. Then around 7ish, they get to watch a show. I try to cuddle and watch tv with them or we play Just Dance. Three days a week I will workout really quick(doing that amazing 30 day shred) and then around 7:50 ish it's teeth brushin' time. Grayson and I take turns reading his chapter book (he reads a page, I read a page), Ella and I read then we do prayers and lights out. By 8:30, I head back and make a cup of hot green tea with 2 Stevias and milk. I get ready for bed and depending on what Joey is doing, I figure out what I am doing. If he is wrapped up in a show, I will blog or do TPT stuff. If he is wanting to hang out, then we love to watch Jimmy Fallon youtube videos and just laugh or just talk.This is one of my fav times other than cuddles with the kiddos. I love getting to just talk and have that time for us!  I usually go to bed around 11 ish or 11:30. Sounds weird but my body does best on about 6 hours of sleep. For real. I have documented it! Ha!

6. How do you juggle being a mom, wife, and working full time?

Honestly...I feel God made me to run this way. I enjoy being busy and I love every aspect of my life. Of course being a wife and mom beats out everything else but I also love my job and the people I work with. I feel like I get the best of both world being in education. I have the chance to be a holiday/summer stay at home mom, too. I also think that having Joey is what helps me juggle it all. We are a team. Without him, I can't imagine how this would all work. He is the most amazing Daddy and can make the best pb&j (according to the kids). We communicate everyday even on the days we are frustrated and irritated. I also have learned more recently to take time for me to de-stress and the same for Joey. When the kids were younger, I would feel so guilty ever  leaving them but now that they are a little older I have learned to take time to relax. Of course, I still feel guilty and miss them like crazy even if I am gone for like 30 minutes but I get time away to feel less frazzled and feel like I have time to reflect. 

Don't forget to check out Lauren's post HERE!! She is one early risin' super momma!!

Have an idea for a blog post or a question you would like to see us answer? Email us below!

Melanie: melroseacker@yahoo.com
Lauren: laurenlou5644@yahoo.com


1 comment:

Shelby said...

Such a fun post & peak into another mama's life!! Ahhh!! Next time I am around we must must meet!!