Header/Navigation Bar

Monday, June 30, 2014

Mommy Must Have Monday: Keepin' it Simple!



First, I just need to start off by saying you NEED to check out Lauren’s blog today (HERE). I read it this morning and so wish I could have read it when my kiddos were 2. I have a distinct memory of being at Northpark (of course) when Grayson was about 2 and we were having lunch in the food court and it was close to Grayson’s nap time and he was throwing a fit. Nothing and I mean nothing would make him happy and a lady kept staring at me and giving me mean looks. I was embarrassed and angry. I was wondering if that lady had ever had kids or maybe hers were perfect? I think your anxiety level during fits triples when you are a teacher or counselor…haha. I always feel like they may think, “How can she be a counselor and help others with behavior if she can’t control her own kids?” But then I realize that every kiddo is a toot sometimes and that is normal. Developmentally it is normal and sometimes even I am grouchy and can totally understand wanting to throw a fit…haha. So check out Lauren’s post HERE today if you’re a mom of littles because her words will probably speak to your heart and the quote from Nana (Lauren’s mom and my mother in law) are just perfect.

So, my Mommy Must Haves for today may seem so simple but they are things I use every day. Let me first start off by prefacing this with my goal this summer…..my goal is to keep it simple. I was talking to the kids last week and we were just drawing outside on the picnic table. They were having so much fun and I thought, “Wow, this is so simple and nice.” If you know me, I am always wanting to plan and do something BIG and feel the need to plan out something to make my kids feel like they had the BEST.DAY. EVER! I am not sure why, this may be that my heart was made to be a Kindergarten teacher and I love themes!!
So, I asked the kids if they could do anything this summer, what would it be? We were talking and made a little chart. I have been seeing these everywhere this summer and thought it was precious, so we made our own. Ella’s summer to do list is in purple and Grayson’s is red. I was amazed because the things they wanted to do and totally made up on their own were so stinkin’ simple.
I felt a rush of emotions come over me. Had I been so busy looking at the big things that I missed the little things that make childhood memories great? Grayson put that he wants to search for bugs and play in the sprinkler. Gah. So, my focus this summer is to not plan big play dates that go all out or make picture perfect plans in my head…..I will let them lead and have some good ol’ fashion fun.

So, I have a little Simple Summer Mommy Must Have list:

Many of these things you probably already have at home. With the items above, you can have a good ol' fashion simple summer. I hope to have a Read-In this week. I remember doing those when I taught. Plus, we can log the books we read for our Summer Reading Club!

I will feature the homemade ice cream recipe on my blog tomorrow....I have to get it from my BFF, it is hers. I am going to taste the one she made and she said you DON'T have to use an ice cream maker. Bonus!!!

Watch for the announcement for the Lia Sophia winner later this afternoon!!!


No comments: