Today I am keepin' it real. Fo sho. Fo rizeal in the hizouss.Okay, I'll stop...haha! I have had a lot on my heart lately and one of the reasons Lauren and I really wanted to start blogging is to help inspire, uplift, and let other mommies out there feel like there is someone else who understands.
Today I am talking about imperfections. We all have them and we all see them. They make us feel insecure, inadequate, and just plain icky BUT they can convict us at times and help us grow stronger.
Social media probably makes being a mommy hard at times. There are so many awesome things like Pinterest, blogs, and facebook that give us great ideas and inspiration but it can also be an ugly place of jealousy and not feeling good enough. I remember the first time I felt that icky feeling inside. I was reading a blog and saw this perfect house and read about this lady's perfect recipes and on top of that, she was blogging about her work out routine....Whaaattt? I count walking up the stairs to the playroom to break up a fight part of my workout routine. Haha! No offense to the wonderful lady whose blog I was reading at all because I love it and still read it. I just remember feeling like a failure as a mom. At the time, the kids were 9 months old and 2 going on 3. Laundry was never done, I barely cooked, and I just felt like a hot mess.
I began a period of feeling inadequate as a mommy. I began to envy the bloggers or friends on facebook that seemed to have it "together." Then one day, I realized that:
1) I had been caught up in a whirlwind of envy.
2) I am not perfect and my kids don't expect me to be and
3) I had put pressure on myself that no one else did.
I found that I put expectations on myself that my husband or kids did not and I was stressing myself out!!! I swear this one bible verse is my absolute favorite and I always refer to it. Sometimes reading it when I am feeling not enough or just in a rut makes me realize the bigger picture.
This helps me to remember that I will mess up and I may stumble as a mommy, wife, or just plan ol' human but God is my strength...HE is all I need. It is so easy to get caught up in all the fluff of life...but it is so humbling to remember the simple but most important things.
So, for any mommies reading this.....just know on those days where you are exhausted, your laundry room is cra-cra, and you forgot what it's like to go to the bathroom without hearing knocking at the door and seeing little hands slip under it....just know that it is your heart that matters. It is your intentions with your kids. There is a big difference with not caring and just trying to keep up and I think many moms are just trying to keep up! Bless our hearts, being a mommy is a tough job!
It doesn't matter if your kiddos have all the cutest clothes...it matters that you have talks with them. It doesn't matter if they have the cutest room...it matters if you take some time to read their favorite book. Life is full of imperfections. Mommyhood is full of imperfections and a lot of times there is so much learning and beauty in that!
So for anyone who sees my pics on instagram or facebook and reads my blog....just know that I am far from a perfect mom. There are usually many outtakes before I get a picture with both kids looking at the camera and one not throwing a fit. There are many nights of eating cereal for dinner and there are many times when my laundry room is so full I don't know where to start (can you tell I have been stressed about the LAUNDRY...haha)!!!
I am a mom like you just wanting to do the best I can for my kids and who wants the best for them. I am just a mom who does want to do cute things and do all the fluff but I know it's doesn't make me a great mom...it's all about the heart!! And praise the Lord for an amazing God who gives me strength because there are some days that He gives me the encouragement I need!
Don't forget to check out Lauren's blog HERE for some ideas on how to have your kids organized on the go! She did a fabulous post on Thirty One bags and how she uses them!! So much fun over there!!
Have questions or an idea for a post? Email us at:
Melanie: melroseacker@yahoo.com
Lauren: laurenlou5644@yahoo.com

3 comments:
Oh MY GOODNESS!!! You spoke to my heart!! I absolutely LOVED reading this and every word hung so true to me! I feel like this almost every day in one way or another! Your Bible verse will now have to be one of my favs too!! Thank you for opening your heart so sincerely. You are one amazing mama that is for sure!! Thanks for making my day with this post! I seriously feel like God led me to read it right at this moment to speak to me in the way He needed. :) I am so excited to follow along on your blog!! <3 <3
Shelby, you took the words right out of my mouth!!! Melanie knows that this is something that I struggle with daily as well, and while I don't take joy in knowing that someone else feels that way (because it's so hard), it does make me feel better to know that I'm not alone in that struggle.
Melanie helps me so much throughout my faith, marriage, and mommy hood with all of her support, advice, and friendship. I'm so happy that she is able to lend out those things to her fellow bloggers as well!!
I completely understand feeling overwhelmed,but then I remember that all I can do is "do my best". God and my family do not expect perfection, they expect love and interaction. Love and acceptance trump thrills and frills any day. Be who you know you are, not who you think others want you to be. Make God,your faily, and yourself happy....everything else will work itself out.
Post a Comment