I feel like there is a strong need to teach our children compassion. Now, don't get me wrong my kiddos are pretty stinkin' sweet but I want them to think outside their bubble. I want them to see that there is pain and hurt in the world and not everything is picture perfect. I blog about fashion, playdates, and things I buy or want to buy but I know there is so much more in the world than that. There is so much more outside of us. I praise the Lord each day because this blessed life I know is not guaranteed. Lately, I have been reading The Voice of the Martyrs and my heart just aches for them. Their stories are heart breaking but so inspiring and it has made me think so much about how me and my family are reaching others and being a reflection of God. How are we being Christlike?
So, I made a list of the things we plan to do this summer and all year. I am starting small and realistic at first so they we can really make it happen.
1. Make cheerful "kid made" notes for nursing homes in lower income areas. I feel like our local ones have so much support but there are a lot in run down areas that can be forgotten.
2. Make cards for soldiers. They protect our freedom everyday and sacrifice so much for our countries and bless their families' hearts who also sacrifice their families being complete.
3. Write letters to imprisoned persecuted Christians in other countries. I used to do this and used the Voice of the Martyrs website because it will allow you to choose encouraging phrases and scripture and will translate it for you so you just have to print it and mail it. You can find the site HERE. Click GET INVOLVED and click LETTERS TO PRISONERS. These are people who have been imprisoned for following their Christian faith. I DO NOT put a returning address when I send these for safety purposes.
4. Toy/My Closet Clean Out with the understanding they won't be replaced. We always clean out toys before Christmas and before birthdays because we know they will be replaced with bigger, better things but I think it would be good to get rid of items to help others knowing they do not need to be replaced. To put us in the mindset of I am giving this up to help someone and I am not necessarily getting something to do it as opposed to I am cool with getting rid of this because I get something new.
These may seem simple or little but I want to instill in our kids' hearts to have compassion, love, and grace towards others just as God has shown to us. I would love to hear some ways/ideas that your family pays it forward or serves others? Feel free to comment below or on Facebook.
Before I go, I MUST share this picture of our little group today. Lauren and I met up at Chick Fil A and we actually got all four kiddos to look at the camera...now that is down right AMAZING!

Don't forget to check out my counseling blog HERE! and Lauren's update on sweet Jansen HERE!
See y'all tomorrow for Trendy Thursday!
No comments:
Post a Comment