Header/Navigation Bar

Monday, July 7, 2014

What's On Your... Menu Linky Party

Hey y'all. Today I am linking up with Andrea over at Momfessionals for her What's on Your...Menu Linky Party. I would love to say I have a super cute weekly menu planned out along with a grocery list but that's not how meal time works in our house. When I grew up, we just ate what was on the table and loved it. In our home, we all eat differently.

My hubby eats a lot of plain protein. He doesn't like sauce or much seasoning, no vegetables, nada. So what I do for him is usually a Sunday prep of baked potatoes (plain), brown rice, baked chicken breast, and turkey burgers.

I have a lot of stomach issues and really watch what I eat. I have gastroparesis and crohn's disease. So I usually prep boiled eggs, salmon, baked squash, etc for me. I try to find recipes that are easy on my stomach that I can enjoy. I also eat about a dozen egg whites a week or more plus salads. I love trying new foods and make exceptions if I am eating out...I just may pay for it later. I grew up on super Southern food (my dad's side) and Filipino food (my mom's side) so I do eat a lot of different things when not at home and love trying new stuff. I could live on Sushi and Starbucks,,,,for real...everyday.

The kids rotate through the usual: chicken nuggets, baked chicken, quesadillas (I do chicken or just cheese), tacos, chili....the usual pre-school aged type of food. They are a but picky but have added some more veggies and fruit to the mix. I will give them props because they are branching out more.

So....to sum it up....our meal planning is usually consistent. My hubby has a sensitive stomach and is a bit picky, I have stomach issues that limit what I can eat, and the kids are your average picky eaters.

Now I will say the one area we have fun is....DESSERTS!!! We don't eat tons of sweets but I feel like this is the area where we all enjoy it!!! So, today I am sharing two recipes. One easy dinner recipe that I prepped on Sunday for me to eat. It is healthy and I read it is good for people with stomach issues.

The other recipe is for homemade ice cream. This will be my new, fun summer recipe that me and the kids....and Joey will love changing up each time we make it.....so here ya go!!!



Homemade Ice Cream (without an Ice Cream Maker...YAY!)
My BFF made this and it was delish. She put real chopped cherries and chocolate chips. When I made it I added just a touch of chocolate syrup and it was pretty good. It tasted like a Frosty with more of a thicker, creamier ice cream texture. It is very rich! It was gone in a day!!



Homemade Ice Cream (from Woman's Day)

2 cups very cold heavy cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk

1. Using an electric mixer beat cream, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl on medium high until stiff peaks form 5-10 minutes. (Amanda told me to do 10 minutes so I did and it was perfect). 
Gently fold in add-ins (ex. strawberries, chocolate chips...we are doing butterfinger and reese's next)

2. Put mixture in a freezer safe container/pan. Freeze until set (at least 4 hours). Once set, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 weeks.

I think I will double the recipe next time so it will last a little longer!


This next recipe I didn't get a picture of but it is delicious. I was researching recipes good for stomach issues and came across this. I also found this info on cabbage (the main ingredient) on Wikipedia:
Cabbage is a good source of vitamin K,[79] vitamin C and fiber.[79][80] Cabbage is also an excellent source of manganese, vitamin B6, and folate; and a good source of thiamin, riboflavin, calcium, potassium, vitamin A, tryptophan, protein, and magnesium.[citation needed] Studies suggest that it, as well as other cruciferous vegetables, may reduce the risk of some cancers, especially those in the colorectal group.[81]

Believe it or not I had never had cabbage rolls or unstuffed cabbage rolls, it will now be part of my meal rotation!! Plus if you are looking to lose weight, this is a very low cal, no carb recipe....unless you add cornbread to the side or rice with it. I loved it by itself but may add rotel in placed of the diced tomatoes....it needed a little more of a kick!


Unstuffed Cabbage 
Ingredients:
1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey ( I used ground turkey)
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt

Heat the Olive oil in a Big Skillet (use medium heat) Saute the onions until tender, and then add the ground beef (or turkey) until the meat is browned.

Add the garlic, cook an additional minute before adding the remaining ingredients. (This is the point you would add the  if you would like. Bring them to a boil, Cover, reduce the heat and simmer about 25 minutes (or until the cabbage is quite fork tender)

Yield: Serves 6 to 8



I hope y'all have a great rest of the day. See y'all tomorrow for Tuesday's Tips.  

No comments: