Header/Navigation Bar

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Words of Faith Wednesdays: Marriage



Wow....marriage. I am not going to get on here and talk about how perfect my marriage is...because it's not. No one's marriage is. I won't lie, I used to be that person that would gush on facebook how sweet my husband is and how he buys me sweet things and how I love him soooo much. Those things may be true but I feel like it gives people a big misconception that marriage just comes easily and it is a fairy tale....but that's not always the case. Marriage is work.

I am not writing this to put this all out there....I am writing this to help other women. I talked to a sweet friend today and she said something profound. She said it's important for women, especially, to not paint a picture perfect view of marriage and instead be there for each other for support and not to judge. So many times I hear women gossip about other women's marriages....breaks my heart. Everyone will run into issues now and then. Maybe we should all be more like the women in Titus 2:3-5 where the older women mentored the younger women . They taught the other women to be pure of heart and love their husbands. They were uplifting other women as opposed to judging and gossiping about them.

Are there days that me and my hubby aren't each other's favorite person? Yes! Are there times where we want to be alone? Yes. But do I love him so much? Of course. I have learned over the past year that marriage isn't something that takes care of itself. It involves a whole lot of work.

When Joey and I got married, it was a fairy tale. We never really argued and we thought everything the other one did was so stinkin' cute! Then years went by and life happened. We suddenly were super busy, had two kids, and differing opinions on things. That was life. I recently read an article called "The Day My Wife Changed" by a young pastor. It discussed how his wife became a different person than when he married her. He talked about how their marriage changed because of it. But what he focused on is that marriage is for life and that he had to learn how they could complement each other even if they were changing as people. I loved this article and it spoke to my heart. I wish I could find it and I have looked everywhere. It also talked about how salt and pepper are so different. They look different and have different tastes. Yet, they complement each other. It was a perfect example of a husband and wife. People change. Thank the Lord for that because if I was the same person I was 10 years ago then bless Joey's heart.

Everyone has their bumps in the road and things to work through. Heck, after being with someone for years...it's bound to happen. Yet knowing it is work and a gift from God changes my perspective. The days I get frustrated and feel "over things" stink but I can't just sit back...I have to work at it. I have been blessed with a person that deserves that and in turn, I feel I deserve to have someone work just as hard.

So, before you want to give up or judge someone else's marriage, remember that no one is perfect and as a husband or wife, we all have a job to do and that is to honor our spouse with our words, actions, and thoughts even in the hardest times. I believe as Christians, we should lift each other up and have fellowship with Godly women we can trust and count on. Maybe we should be more like the women in Titus.

I hope this post touches your heart, somehow. Whether you are guilty of gossiping about other people's marriages, or whether you feel like giving up on yours, or maybe you want to make a positive impact by having fellowship with other women...I hope that God uses my words to reach your heart!!

No comments: