Header/Navigation Bar

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tuesday Tip: Body Image and Happy Birthdays!!!!

Growing up I was outside all of the time running, jumping around...doing something. In high school, I remember coming home and just running around my parents' land numerous times and they live on 5 acres. My body felt good when I worked out...I had energy and I enjoyed being active.

Let's fast forward years and years later. When I was pregnant with Grayson I worked out a lot during my pregnany. I did prenatal yoga, took walks, and did prenatal aerobics. When I had that 9lb 2 oz baby I felt great. After 6 months of having him, I had lost all the baby weight plus more. I watched what I ate and worked out. Simple, right?

Well, fast forward to my pregnancy with Ella. It was my first year as a counselor and I was at my desk a lot. I ate out a lot. I ended up on bed rest and gained 50lbs. After having that 10lb 5 oz baby, I didn't feel like doing anything!! I literally just lost all the rest of the baby weight after having to change my lifestyle due to my stomach issues...and she turned 4. Yeah, that didn't come off as easy. Did you hear me people....it took 4 years!!! Geez!

But I want to point out...it's not about weight and it's not about size. It is about feeling like the best you in your body. Being active and eating food that is nourishing your body. Whether that is a size 24, 14, 4....whatever...what is important is that you feel good...healthy!

Two weeks ago, I stopped weighing myself. I have been eating gluten free and mostly protein and veggies. I am not super skinny, I don't have super cool abs.....but I do feel good. I feel the healthiest I have felt in a long time. I am learning each day.

I have been trying to work out more and balance that as a working mom which is a tough thing. Luckily, I found 30 Day Shred which I love!!! I swear Jillian M. kicks my bottom and I feel it the next day. Her dvd's are intense. The workout is only 20 minutes so I have no excuse for not having time!!! You can get it on amazon HERE.
I even have the cutest motivator. It is no joke that Ella tells me to work out everyday. When your little one is telling you, I feel like it is important for me to set a good example. As a mom of a girl....I also want her perception of beauty to be how she feels about herself as in being healthy, being spiritually fit, and comfortable with herself and not as much as being "pretty" or comparing herself to the media. Because as a counselor I handle a lot of self image with girls and it breaks my heart. I think we have to build up girls to focus on feeling healthy and comfortable in their own skin and not labeling anything as "fat" or "skinny" or "pretty" or "ugly". I could go on and on about self worth and image but I will stop here...maybe I could save that for another post.


So for all of you that feel like you don't have time, the above dvd is great and fits nicely into any schedule.

I also have some birthday "shout outs!" My mom and mother in law are both celebrating birthdays today!! Crazy, huh? They are both wonderful ladies and I hope they had the best day!!!

My mom had a party Saturday and we are all going out to dinner tomorrow night to celebrate her!!
 There was a dj and lots of Filipino food!!! 

Today, Lauren and I headed to Breadwinner's in Uptown and West Village for my mother in law's birthday!

It was a great day celebrating wonderful women!!! Don't forget to check out Lauren's post HERE. She posted about wish lists and has some great items!!! And we will have a good Trendy Thursday post this week!!!


No comments: